Protein is important for building and repairing muscle, and supplying our bodies with enough calories to get through the day. It’s especially important to eat plenty of protein in the hot summer months to replenish energy drained from our bodies by heat. This protein-packed scramble can be made many different ways; try it with eggs or crumbled tofu! Eat as is or with tortillas and toppings!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ clove minced garlic
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced roasted red pepper (Red’s Roasters)
- Handful sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- ¼ tsp chili pepper powder of choice (optional)
- 2-3 eggs, cracked and whisked in a bowl with 1 tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp diced chives
Heat a medium-size frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil once hot. Cook onions for about 1 minute, add peppers and garlic, and cook an additional minute. Add tomatoes, cilantro and chili powder, then let cook until tomatoes are just soft. Add whisked eggs and move them around the pan until eggs are set and fluffy. Do not overcook. Salt and pepper to taste, and finish with chives.