Thank you for your interest in working with Heirloom! If you are interested in supporting our work, please also check out our volunteer page.
Current Job Openings
Rillito Park Farmers Market: Market Ambassador Internship Position
- Must be a current University of Arizona student to apply
- Seasons: Fall, September 30, 2019 – December 11, 2019
- Paid – $11/Hour, opportunity to get academic credit
- Semester-long, with opportunity to extend to full year
- An ideal candidate is one who is interested in continuing through Winter and Spring Semesters – Part-time (6-10 hours weekly)
If interested, please submit a resume, 2 references, and completed application to [email protected] by Friday, September 13, 2019.
Online application: https://forms.gle/iAZMN4Sc5qQUj4HD9
Heirloom Farmers Markets is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit operating five farmers markets in Southern Arizona. It is our mission to connect, educate, and empower our community to create a vibrant food system that supports local food producers and proprietors.
Since 1998, we’ve been dedicated to promoting local food, improving farm viability, and engaging in the food system. We’re helping to build a food system that honors producers, values good local food and enhances the quality of life for Tucson and beyond. Heirloom has grown from its first year with five participating farms to more than 30 farms, 150 vendors and more than 2,500 people attending our Farmers Markets weekly.
Heirloom Farmers Markets is seeking an intern for a paid, part-time, semester-long position to become a Market Ambassador. The Farmers Markets Ambassador program is a new addition within our market. Its main goal is to assist in connecting Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) eligible people to markets and helping them feel comfortable using the market and food benefits such as Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) and Double Up Food Bucks (DFBA) to access healthy foods and increasing their knowledge and skills in how to use that food.
To learn more about Heirloom Farmers Markets visit www.heirloomfm.org
Responsibilities as Market Ambassador include
- Connecting with SNAP/EBT customers and Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) recipients, as well as customers from diverse backgrounds
- Answering questions about the market and SNAP/EBT programs at the market
- Providing formal and informal tours of the market and providing a clear understanding of where customers can use their benefits at the market
- Encouraging SNAP/EBT customers to purchase fresh produce by assisting them in creating a shopping list, understanding how to best utilize produce at the market in new recipes, etc.
- Developing relationships with farmers and food producers to deepen knowledge of the market and to provide accurate information to market customers
- Creating a safe, inviting, and accessible space for all market customers to feel encouraged and welcome to return to the markets weekly
- Additional in-office projects to be determined alongside Internship Supervisor
- Ability to connect and communicate with people of diverse socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to take initiative and apply a systems leadership approach
- Ability to show up on time and early in the morning
- Ability to be independently motivated, but also to work as part of a team
- Communicative with supervisor and team members
- Willingness to communicate needs and accept feedback for most successful program implementation and personal growth
- Passion for learning about local food systems
- Ability to communicate information about nutrition and public health
- Bilingual in order to communicate with more customers (not required, but encouraged)
What you will gain
- Strong connections within the Southern AZ food system
- Deepened understanding of nutrition assistance programs and their real-world applications
- Development of education and communication skills
- Becoming a leader in the development of a new project