Vegan Zucchini Cake
Zucchinis are abundant this time of year, so why not take advantage of the bounty and make this delicious dessert! Have you put vegetables in a cake before? Adding veggies to cake is surprisingly tasty and adds nutrients our bodies need, such as potassium. Potassium improves heart health and lowers our risk of heart disease. This cake is easy to make, and all the ingredients are most likely in your pantry. Enjoy!
- 3 “flax eggs” (3 tbsp flax meal + 9 tbsp warm water), regular eggs can be used here as well
- 2 small zucchinis, finely grated (2 cups grated)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (olive or avocado oil work well)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice and zest from ½ a lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup powder sugar (add more if needed)
- Chopped nuts of choice for topping (pistachios work great!)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9×13 cake pan by greasing the sides and bottom. Combine flax meal and water in a small bowl and let stand to thicken for at least 3 minutes. In a large bowl, stir together zucchini, flax eggs, oil, vanilla extract, sugar and cinnamon until combined. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt, mix until just combined. Poor batter into cake pan and use a spatula or a spoon to even out the batter. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. While the cakes bakes, make the lemon drizzle and chop nuts. Remove cake from oven and let cool completely. Drizzle cake with lemon drizzle and sprinkle with chopped nuts or add toppings to individual pieces when serving.