Keep It Local With A Family Fun Halloween Weekend
With Halloween falling on Saturday this year, you don’t have to keep the festivities to merely an evening walking around the neighborhood with the kids. Tucson is offering family fun all weekend long with local food, live music, kids activities, bicycles, costume giveaways, and lounges for the parents. Banner – University Medical Center presents Tucson Tandem, a weekend of fun celebrating local food and 5 miles of car-free city streets!
Before you hit the Halloween path of trick or treating, join Viva La Local Food Festival Saturday, October 31st from 9am – 5pm at Rillito Park Race Track. Viva La Local will be highlighting 25 local restaurants, local craft beer and Arizona wine. Plus, Baja AZ’s largest farmers market, live music and community non-profits supporting the local food scene. For the kids, there will be music, playtime, activities and giveaways!
On Sunday, get those kids out of the house and let them release some of that sugar high at Tucson’s most family-friendly event celebrating active transportation! Cyclovia Tucson will host their mid-town route from 10am – 3pm Sunday, November 1st. Bike, walk, skate, or roll through a 5 mile round trip route that connects businesses just north of downtown Tucson (Exo Roast Co., Tap & Bottle, Miller’s Surplus) to neighborhoods in the north (Feldman’s, Northwest, and Keeling). More than 85 organizations are gearing up for fun and will host free, healthy, fun and educational activities all intended to show Tucsonans of all ages how to integrate biking and walking for transportation into their daily lives.
Featured Family Fun at Viva La Local & Cyclovia!
Viva La Local:
- Kids (12 and under) are free! Admission to the all day event is $6 a person. All proceeds benefit the 501(c)(3) non-profit Heirloom Farmers Market who runs Sunday’s Rillito Park Farmers Market.
- Interactive music playtime with Mr. Nature’s Music Garden. Mr. Nature will be in the Farmers Market area from 10am – 11am with song, dance and the Music Instrument Petting Zoo! – www.mrnaturesmusicgarden.com. Plus, live music will continue all afternoon until 4:30p.
- Costume party & kids activities with Tucson Children’s Museum! All day long come bring your costumed up kids to the TCM booth at Viva La Local for free prizes and kids activities.
- Moms, dads and babes! Take a break from the festivities at the ‘Parents Rest Stop’. Lactation Consultants of Southern Arizona IBCLC Professional Group will be hosting a “Rest Stop” at the festival for Mamas (and/or Papas) who need a quiet, comfortable place to feed their babies. Not just for breastfeeding moms, we support all parents in feeding their children!
- All food & drink tastings $5! Taste from an array of local restaurants and eat up family style. Tastings are large enough to share, so grab a few and share with the whole bunch.
- Pima Association of Governments and Keeling Neighborhood Activity Hub will host bike decorating with a red carpet runway where you can get your photo taken with your bike, performances from Cirque Roots, Zumba and the Amphi High School Marching Band.
- Mansfield Park Activity Hub is the place to be with a food truck round-up, jumping castles and inflatable obstacle courses, a free helmet giveaway for youth under 18 from Tucson Medical Center, and special celebrity guest Gary Fisher — the godfather of modern mountain biking.
- Catalina Park Activity Hub presented by Banner — University Medical Center will feature bicycle-powered stations to make smoothies or charge your cell phone, sidewalk chalk art exhibits, and a tandem bicycle giveaway.
- The Historic Y Activity Hub will feature a giant rock climbing wall free to kids all day, exhibits with live birds from Tucson’s Audubon Society, and DJs for dancing in the streets.
- North 6th Ave. and 7th St. Activity Hub will have activities for all ages, but parents will find the New Belgium and Borderlands Brewing Company hosted beer garden a welcome retreat after a long day of exploring and playing. And, you can stop in and learn about the Urban Assault Ride, also hosted by New Belgium, coming to town on November 15th — a great way to continue the fun of Cyclovia.
Banner – University Medical Center will be on site at each event hosting a series of engaging activities for people of all ages. Look for Banner – University Medical Center at Viva La Local’s Rillito Park Race Track – 4502 N. Park Ave. and at Cyclovia Tucson at the Banner – University Medical Center Health Hub at Catalina Park, N. 4th Ave. and E. 2nd St.
For more information on Viva La Local Food Festival, visit www.vivalalocalfoodfest.com
For more information on Cyclovia Tucson, visit www.cycloviatucson.org
For more information on Banner— University Medical Center, visit www.uahealth.com