Plant A Seed For Earth Day!
Join us in celebration of our beautiful planet and plant a seed for a greener future! Come to the Rillito Park Farmers Market this Sunday and stop by our seed-planting station located in the center circle. Fill a compostable planting pot with dirt, plant and water a couple of summer vegetable seeds, get a little gardening education and take your seeds home to grow. Then spend some time supporting our awesome vendors in the great outdoors!
Here are some simple ways to “Make Every day Earth Day” and live more sustainably at the farmers market and beyond:
- Bring your own bags and baskets for carrying your market bounty. We also have beautiful and sturdy HeirloomFM canvas tote bags for purchase at the Market Info Booth.
- Bring glass storage containers and cloth produce bags and ask that your items be transferred into these more sustainable options.
- Bring your own reusable napkins, utensils, bottles and straws.
- Ask vendors if they can reuse containers, as many will. Otherwise repurpose the container at home.
- Buy vegetable starts and native plants for your home gardens.
- Bike or walk whenever you can!
- Take home your recyclables if recycle bins are not available.
- Shop local and support farmers. Many farmers use regenerative farming practices which leave the earth in better shape than when they began. Get your produce from the farmers market for a healthier earth and more vibrant food system.
- Join one of our farmer’s CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture). A CSA is a weekly produce subscription, which is both a direct way to support farmers and have guaranteed seasonal produce each week. Here are the farmers who offer CSAs: