Celebrate Earth Day at the Farmers Market
Celebrate Earth Day with Heirloom Farmers Markets! Join us at the Rillito Park Farmers Market on Sunday, April 24th from 8am to 12pm to celebrate our local farmers and producers – the people who work so hard every day to make eating in the Sonoran Desert a more sustainable act! As always, HeirloomFM works hard to promote seasonal growers and local producers by providing education to their customers on the benefits of shopping and eating local food. This Earth Day we hope to inspire customers with different opportunities to learn about growing food, composting, recycling, protecting and restoring desert waterways and landscapes, and reducing our carbon footprint while creating biodiversity in our local food systems.
Make sure to stop by the Taste of the Market booth to plant a seed for Earth Day! Fill a compostable planting pot with dirt, plant and water a couple of summer vegetable seeds, get a little gardening education, and take your seeds home to grow. You can also stop by the Market Info booth to participate in an Earth Day Scavenger Hunt! Complete the scavenger hunt for a chance to win a $5 market token and to be entered to win a reusable HeirloomFM tote bag!
Thank you to our earth day community partners!
- Community Gardens of Tucson
- Organic Consumers Association
- Sustainable Tucson Habitat Restoration
- Tank’s Green Stuff
- Tucson Clean and Beautiful
- Tucson Organic Gardeners
- UofA Compost Cats
- Via Organica
HERE ARE SOME SIMPLE WAYS TO “MAKE EVERY DAY EARTH DAY” at the farmers market and beyond:
- Bring your own bags and baskets for carrying your market bounty. We also have beautiful and sturdy HeirloomFM canvas tote bags for purchase at the Market Info Booth.
- Bring glass storage containers and cloth produce bags and ask that your items be packaged in these more sustainable options.
- Bring your own reusable napkins, utensils, bottles and straws.
- Ask vendors if they can reuse containers, as many will. Otherwise repurpose the container at home.
- Buy vegetable starts and native plants for your home gardens.
- Bike or walk whenever you can!
- Take home your recyclables if recycle bins are not available.
- Shop local and support farmers. Many farmers use regenerative farming practices which leave the earth in better shape than when they began. Get your produce from the farmers market for a healthier earth and more vibrant food system.
- Join one of our farmer’s CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture). A CSA is a weekly produce subscription, which is both a direct way to support farmers and have guaranteed seasonal produce each week. Here are the farmers who offer CSAs:
Shop Sustainably at the farmers market: