Celebrate Earth Day At The Farmers Market
Celebrate Earth Day with Heirloom Farmers Markets! Join us at the Rillito Park Farmers Market on Sunday, April 23rd from 8am to 12pm to celebrate our local farmers and producers – the people who work so hard every day to make eating in the Sonoran Desert a more sustainable act! As always, HeirloomFM works hard to promote seasonal growers and local producers by providing education to their customers on the benefits of shopping and eating local food.
This Earth Day, we hope to inspire customers with different opportunities to learn about growing food, composting, recycling, protecting and restoring desert waterways and landscapes, and reducing our carbon footprint while creating biodiversity in our local food systems.
Earth Day Schedule of Events:
Join us in the Center Circle for Earth Day Education & Fun!
- 9AM to 10AM – Vendor and Community Partner Presentations by: John Slattery of Desert Forager, Hernan Castro of Desert Alchemist, & Tucson Village Farm
- 10AM to 11AM – Live Music with Mr. Nature’s Music Garden
- 8AM to 12PM – Activities & Learning Opportunities
HERE ARE SOME SIMPLE tips TO “MAKE EVERY DAY EARTH DAY” AT THE FARMERS MARKET AND BEYOND:
- Bring your own bags and baskets for carrying your market bounty. We also have beautiful and sturdy HeirloomFM canvas tote bags for purchase at the Market Information Booth.
- Bring glass storage containers and cloth produce bags and ask that your items be packaged in these more sustainable options.
- Bring your own reusable napkins, utensils, bottles and straws.
- Ask vendors if they can reuse containers, as many will. Otherwise repurpose the container at home.
- Buy vegetable starts and native plants for your home gardens.
- Bike or walk whenever you can.
- Take home your recyclables if recycle bins are not available.
- Shop local and support farmers. Many farmers use regenerative farming practices which leave the earth in better shape than when they began. Get your produce from the farmers market for a healthier earth and more vibrant food system.
- Join one of our farmer’s CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture). A CSA is a weekly produce subscription, which is both a direct way to support farmers and have guaranteed seasonal produce each week. Famers who offer a CSA pick-up at the farmers market: